Friday, December 15, 2006

Navacerrada

Today I went hiking. It was the first form of legitimate exercise I have done since the last post, almost one month ago! Being that my semester ended on Wednesday, and that I am waiting (eagerly) for my parents and sister to arrive in Madrid on Monday, I had a few days to kill. My friend Matt and I had decided weeks ago on this hike, and so we spread the word. Turns out we recruited four of the world's finest people to join us. Audrey, Joel, and Allie (all students at Middlebury) and Alejandro (authentic Spaniard + our guide). We had a phenomenal time. Here are some of the highlights:

-Being truly fatigued after ten minutes. I am in the worst shape of my life and this hike wasn't necessarily the easiest. I was, however, able to make the whole venture without issue...but with lots of sweat.
From left to right: Joel, Allie, Audrey, Matt, Alejandro

Alejandro posing, Matt and Joel walking

I was there too!

-Taking our shirts off and getting wild in the snow. It wasn't extraordinarily cold, and having the shirt off was actually very refreshing. We also took a fun group photo on the stationary chair-lift as well.I wasn't lying, no shirts (Joel, Alejandro, Matt, Me)

For being in such bad shape it sure looks like I can still jump!

Hard to see, but its a sweet shot

-Eating Spanish tortilla and sharing a bottle of wine while overlooking Madrid and La Mancha. Alejandro's mom made tortilla for us and it was phenomenal. Throw in a bottle of authentic Spanish wine and it was extra special. Great food and great people is an unbeatable mix.
Little hazy, but you get the idea

So we all survived the hike (a few with minor injuries) without any bad incidents. We didn't run into any of the wild mountain goats, which I guess would be my only disappointment, but I cant complain. It will certainly be one of the most memorable days of my time here in Spain. Thank you Navacerrada.

End Note - This blog will be turned into a daily journal of our family trip through Spain during this Christmas time. Stay tuned and enjoy all of our fun(ny) moments. Feliz Navidad.

No comments: