Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chillando

So I am not the most faithful blogger, that much we can all agree on. To my defense I have been busy. It feels like I have been here for a month already because every day is so full and we have had so many people come through the house. As I am writing this the guests have left the house and it is just seven of us here. The squad includes: Jon and Anna Eshleman (the house parents), Javier Cuchipe, Esteban Jaramillo, Ricardo Navaraez, Charlie Beck, and myself. During the day we have an accountant, librarian, handy-man, and contractor here to maintain and improve the house. Now that it is just us here, we have developed a consistent schedule which looks something like this.

Breakfast - 8am
Kitchen and house clean-up - 9am
Required reading time - 10am
Morning meeting - 1030am
Lunch - 130pm

Those are the established activities for the house and depending on the days we play sports together, walk the neighborhood, or do house chores. At some point each day we have free time and that usually falls in the afternoon and evening. Being that we are in Ecuador the schedule is questioned and manipulated almost daily. This is not a culture of planning and following through in the long term. The guys we have in the house are awesome guys, each one is at least 3 years my senior. They all have their own outside pursuits which requires their attention away from the house. For part of each day it is just gringos here and thus a lot of English is spoken. So much so that we have begun teaching English classes to all the willing members of the home and community.

I have been cooking, gardening, and painting around the house. I have also been commissioned to help in the library in preparation for the October 1st grand opening. In reality I have not pulled my weight with this assignment but I will be working more in there this week. I have taken a select few photos around the house and of the city (having a photographer in the house takes away all motivation). I will post photos in the coming days...Adios

1 comment:

Robyn Beck said...

you and Char are the perfect compliment to each other - with your words that offer detail and char's eye for the visual it is great!! Thank you Seth....Robyn